Welcome to Day 21 of our 30 Days of Cozy Guest Designer Program. Today, we have a snowflake basket tapestry crochet pattern from Sarah of No Hooks Given. I think you’re going to love this one and it’s perfect for the entire Fall/Winter season! Here’s what Sarah has to say about her Let it Snow Basket design:
OH, JUST AS AN FYI, THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, VIEW MY DISCLOSURE POLICY HERE FOR DETAILS. FAIR WARNING: IT'S LONG AND BORING, BUT IT DOES THE TRICK.
My favorite seasons are Fall and Winter. In my hometown, it got so hot that we didn’t have much of a winter. I always was in love with the thought of winter, the scenery, and bundling up.
I absolutely love the saying ‘We are like a snowflake, all different in our own beautiful way’.
I finally moved more North to be able to enjoy the chilly season. When I finally got to experience my first snow, I fell in love. Everything looked so different when covered in snow and it is truly is incredible.
Speaking of love, one of my favorite craft projects is house ware items. I love making items that will be used daily or weekly. I wanted to combine my love of snowflakes and housewares so I created The Let It Snow Basket.
In this blog post, you will find my smaller basket and the charts included to help you make this one of a kind piece. In the premium version of the pattern (see Pattern Downloads), you will find my larger basket that is large enough to help you organize clothes, big projects, blankets, and other large pieces.
I hope you can enjoy this homemade homeware project as much as I did design it.
Are you ready to make your own?
TABLE OF CONTENTS
❁ PATTERN DOWNLOADS
There are two ways you can access the pattern for this lovely Let it Snow Basket:
- Follow along with the free pattern, below.
- Purchase the premium pattern which includes instructions for the Let it Snow Basket in two sizes! The medium size pattern is found, below and the large size is part of the premium pattern. Find it on Ravelry.
6.5 mm hook
Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick or a Super Bulky weight 6 yarn
- Main Color: 200 yards (I used colorway Denim)
- Contrasting Color: 78 yards (I used colorway Marble)
❁ STITCHES USED
- SL ST – Slip Stitch
- CH – Chain
- ST – Stitch
- SC – Single Crochet
- WC ST – Waistcoat Stitch
- REP – Repeat
- BLO – Back Loop Only
- Crab ST – Crab Stitch
❁ PATTERN DETAILS
- Skill Level: Intermediate (the pattern might cause frustration for beginning crocheters)
- Gauge: 8 stitches X 8 rows = 4” square
- Stitch used for gauge: single crochet
- Terminology: US terminology
- Measurement(s): Medium Size: 9.5-inch-tall, 10-inch-tall with handles, and 10 inches wide.
- No matter your skill level, I always suggest that you read through the pattern from beginning to end before beginning your work just to be sure you don’t have any questions that might cause frustration in the midst of your project.
- CH 1 does not count like a stitch.
- This basket is worked in the round from the bottom up creating the base first, the sides, then the handles.
- We will not be chaining at the start of any row unless noted. This will give a clean start of each row for a seam-free look.
- When creating the snowflake, we will be using the waistcoat stitch to help make sure our snowflake is stacking on top of each instead of slanting to the side. It also makes this basket very sturdy.
- When we start working the sides of the basket, start carrying the second color
- Make sure you are watching your yarn during color changes to not get tangled or twisted.
- Move up the stitch marker as you go to keep track of the beginning of each row.
Pattern Stitches Used:
- Crab Stitch’ is crocheting backward, for video tutorial click here
- Waistcoat Stitch is single crochet into the V of the ST rather than the front and back loops
❁ ‘LET IT SNOW’ SNOWFLAKE BASKET TAPESTRY CROCHET PATTERN
With 6.5 size hook and using your MC make a magic circle
ROW 1: 6 SC into magic circle, Place stitch marker on first SC, do not join, (6 SC)
Row 2: *2 SC in first stitch, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join (12 SC)
Row 3: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next ST, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (18 SC)
Row 4: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 2 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (24 SC)
Row 5: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 3 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (30 SC)
Row 6: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 4 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (36 SC)
Row 7: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 5 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (42 SC)
Row 8: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 6 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (48 SC)
Row 9: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 7 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (54 SC)
Row 10: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 8 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (60 SC)
Row 11: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 9 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, do not join, (66 SC)
Row 12: *2 SC in first stitch, 1 SC in next 10 STS, REP from * until you reach stitch marker, SL ST into beginning ST, (72 SC)
We will now begin the sides of the medium basket.
Row 1: CH1, SC into BLO in first ST and in each ST across until you reach stitch marker, do not join (72 SC)
You will now follow the charts for Rows 2-25 using the WC ST. The 1st chart is of all 3 snowflakes on the basket and the 2nd chart is of a close up of the snowflake. Note that we will be working in the round, so each row will start on the right side of the chart.
Before starting Row 2 start carrying the CC to help the basket be consistent and move up the stitch marker each row and continue to carry the CC on Row 24-25.
We will not stop carrying the CC.
Row 26: Continue using the WC ST, SC in next 13 STS, CH 10, skip 10 STS, SC in next 26 STS, CH 10, skip 10 STS, SC in next 13 STS, do not join, move up stitch marker (72 STS)
Row 27: Continue using the WC ST, SC in each ST until you reach first handle, put 12 SCs around CH 10, SC in each ST until you reach next handle, put 12 SCs around CH 10, SC in each stitch until you reach stitch marker. (76 STS)
Row 28: Crab ST until you reach stitch marker, (76 STS)
Fasten off 6 in tail for weaving in. Weave in all other ends
❁ ONCE YOUR PROJECT IS FINISHED
I know you’re going to love making the Let It Snow Basket and I so look forward to seeing your finished product.
- Be sure to share photos on social media using the hashtag #30DaysofCozy so we can all see your project and give you all-the-hearts. 💖💖💖
I can’t wait to see your creations!
Until then, stay cozy and keep on yarning. ♥
❁ ABOUT THE DESIGNER
Sarah LarRieu is the designer and maker behind Nohooksgiven. She is based in Eugene, Oregon. She has been crocheting since she was a teen and fell deeply in love with the craft, later prompting her to learn to knit, as well. Her inspiration to share her love of creating comes from having been taught to crochet by her mother, who passed away when Sarah was 18. Her mother’s kindness and love have also inspired her to help others feel confident behind themselves, which she hopes to achieve through her blog and social media outlets. When not designing, her favorite things to do are to cuddle with her pets and enjoy time with her husband, family, and friends.
❁ MORE HOME DECOR PATTERNS YOU’LL LOVE